CaptureOne 7.0.2 and the FujiFilm X-E1 short words..

So I wanted to try what the forum writers call imposible, shoot action with the X-E1. To make it even harder I only have a non-TTL flash and really crappy indoor (cave) lighting conditions. I called up a friend and a really good skater, Daniel Blasko and he was up for the task.

We headed over to Area 51 in Gothenburg and did a quick two hour session. Basically the rundown is simple, I´ve been shooting skate, snowboard and in short.. everything that goes fast for over a decade now so the motivation and knowhow is not totally f-cked from my side when it comes to actually produces somewhat good pictures in this scenario.

My quick thought are.. flash.. problems and issues and my knowhow of this specific camera.. well there is a lot to wish in the knowledge area for this camera and Im not quite there to say the least. Cant get the flash to sync at all.. tried to do the best but It seems to lock on other settings that I cant find out within the menu system (during the started shoot).
The camera is sloooow on autofocus even with the AE-L/AE-F button and I winded up trying to shoot totally manual.

The flash was stuck on 2nd curtain when I finally got it to sync, and sync only worked full to 1/125 after that.. well there were sporadic symptoms ;)

So what came out?

Did a mix of lenses and even tried out the new adapter for a couple of the Canon lenses.

Daniel Blasko
Less then good lighting conditions..
Daniel rocking the bowl, shot on Samyang 14mm, 1/125 ISO 1600
FujiFilm 35mm 1.4R, @ 1.4, ISO 1600, 1/125
FujiFilm 35mm 1.4R, @ 1/500th ISO 2500 F1.4
Tamron 28-75 F2.8 @ 1/125th ISO3200 F2.8
FS Boardslide, FujiFilm 35mm 1.4R, @ 1/125 ISO 500 F1.4
 

All serie above FujiFilm 35mm 1.4R, @ 1/125 F1.4 ISO 500
Resulted in one BS 180 over the gap captured and one broken board on the next try..
As you might notice the 2nd curtain gives a motion on finders, asf, I you like it... sweet.. Im not all for it but with some practice with the camera settings and flash settings I bet you can solve it quick but I didn´t feel like putting down the time when we were already on location. My recommendation, dont be a retard like me, figure all this out before you head out ;) 


So.. then I guess I should mention CaptureOne and the new version that has this magic support for Fujis magic creature.. Well It is a good software, I will give them that, the RAW is alot better supported!.. However for me coming from Lightroom and everything set up to work.. this experience has been.. not horrible but CaptureOne is slooooow to work in.. as.. well I dont know what is this slow.. However it has some intensive features and I bet if you have a fast MacPro (mine is a couple of years and "only" have 16GB of ram..) this might be OK but then.. well I guess LR would be even faster.

At least it was warmer then the laste camera test I did with Daniel when I got the Sony present a couple of years back.. See below.

Winter Skateboarding in Gothenburg - Trying out my new EX1 from SkullFilms Productions on Vimeo.


Cheers and thanks for a great night Daniel!